Challenge with Policia de la Generalitat - Mossos d'Esquadra (PG-ME)
CALL 1: MASS PROCESSING OF POLICE DATA
The aim of this call is to find a solution able to aggregate and process police data and display it in such a way that the information processed becomes intelligence.
Since some time ago, the Policia de la Generalitat - Mossos d’Esquadra (PG-ME) has had different databases and a cartographic tool for managing their units. However, the current system is often outdated and not proactive enough.
Currently, the Mossos d'Esquadra police force has a Business Intelligence (BI) model based on a data gathering and processing (ETL) process which stores data in a DataWareHouse (DWH), an application where inquiries are made via the Microstrategy business software tools. There are a total of 12 independent Data Mart (DM) projects.
This system has a number of limitations:
- Lack of real-time data availability and very expensive upload processes.
- Difficulty of mixing information from different sources.
- Difficulty of working with large volumes of data and the ability to adapt to new demands.
Likewise, the PG-ME does not yet have a sufficiently effective cartographic and map editing tool, and considers that there is much room for improvement in converting the current information into real intelligence capable to provide more added value to the police force.
In which respects to this cartographic application, a very large evolutionary process would have to be done to improve the ability to provide real-time information about the distribution of police units and the tasks their are carrying out; also other data of interest should be added, such as layers of information and viewing tables.
In conclusion, in relation to the massive processing of police data, the following opportunities for improvement have been prioritized:
- Real-time data availability.
- Optimization of the virtual geo-positioning system and graphical environment of police patrols, within their patrol time and incident work.
- Real-time viewing of police activity.
- Obtaining delinquent data and quality points of interest with the aim of exploiting statistical data with unified criteria.
- Provision of a flexible application or portal that is adaptable to continuous changes in the environment, technology and procedures to work with large volumes of data.
Audiovisual explanation of the call: https://youtu.be/YE6-pN-uXd8